Written by : Ka’Mel Lauryn ( @kamel_lauryn )
Edited by: Lauryn Bass
With the BET Awards' 50th Anniversary of Hip-Hop and Essence Fest popping off the summer, you might be wondering how to prepare for similar events.
Here's 6 tips to get you started:
1. Make sure you know the dates and locations to all of your favorite events.
This is you can make schedule and travel arrangements early on.
2. Make sure you have all post notifications on for Media Girls Network.
If you want to join our network , you can always click the membership tab in our bio.
3. Make sure you have your media bag packed with outfits, hair, make-up, etc.
In order to ensure you feel your best during your photo ops and creative moments, make sure you have your devices: cameras, mics, SD cards , chargers, the whole nine! You don't want to show up to these events and miss out on your content. You never know who you are going to connect with.
4. Show up early.
Parking can be extremely difficult. If you are ride-sharing to big events, it gets more chaotic closer to event time.
5. Make sure you find the proper point of contact for communications. For all official media personnel, business cards need to be on hand or virtual. Since the Covid-19 pandemic, there has been an increase in use of virtual materials. **Pro-tip**: You can make QR codes and airdrop your information to new contacts.
6. Last but not least, have fun! But stay professional always.
Find a content partner, another creative or friend you know personally to network with! The last thing you need is to become unprofessional at an event or be prohibited from attending future events.
All in all, we really enjoyed both the BET Awards and Essence Fest! From escorting Erica Banks to Miss Diddy's "A Toast to Black Hollywood," to covering events with Missy Elliot in the media suite--we know how to have a good time!
**Upcoming events to look out for:
NABJ in Birmingham, AL (August)
NYFW in the fall.
Stay tuned with Media Girls Network for more events!